Cilento is a land rich in history, nature, and culture, offering its visitors a wide range of attractions and activities to do. Moreover, there are only some of the beauties that can be visited during a vacation in Cilento. Among the most interesting destinations to discover are Maratea, Matera, Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, and Capri.
Maratea is a village in Basilicata region overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea and boasting a valuable artistic and landscape heritage. Its main attractions include:
- the Statue of Christ the Redeemer, a 21-meter statue overlooking the Gulf of Policastro;
- the medieval old town with its churches and palaces;
- the sea caves where stalactites and stalagmites can be admired.
This village in Southern Italy is located about 50 km from Villamirella and can be reached by car or train.
Matera is one of the most famous city in Basilicata. Matera has gained international fame for its ancient town, the "Sassi di Matera", ancient districts carved into the limestone rock that have been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Among its wonders are:
- the 13th century Romanesque Cathedral;
- the Park of the Matera Murgia with its rock churches;
- the National Museum of Medieval and Modern Art of Basilicata.
It is approximately 180 km away from Villamirella and is reachable by car or bus.
Pompei is a city in Campania that was buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD and still preserves the remains of a Roman civilization. Among its treasures are:
- the Forum with its public buildings;
- the archaeological excavations with houses, temples, theaters and baths;
- the Sanctuary of Madonna del Rosario.
Pompei is about 140 km away from Villamirella and can be reached by car or train.
The Amalfi Coast is one of the most beautiful areas in Italy, characterized by breathtaking landscapes between sea and mountains. Among its most famous locations are:
- Amalfi with its Arab-Norman Cathedral;
- Positano with its colorful houses perched on the sea;
- Ravello with its historic villas and gardens.
Amalfi Coast and Sorrento are about 120 km from Villamirella and can be reached by car, bus, or by ferry directly from Palinuro during certain times of the year.
Capri is an island in the Gulf of Naples famous for its natural beauty and elegance. Among its must-see attractions are:
- the Blue Grotto, a sea cave where the water takes on an intense blue color;
- Faraglioni, three rock formations emerging from the sea;
- the Piazzetta, the island's fashionable square.
Capri is located approximately 160 km from Villamirella and can be reached by car to Sorrento or Salerno and then by ferry. In particular periods of the year, a direct connection is available from the port of Palinuro by ferry, with departure and return in the same day.
Cilento is a region that offers so much to see and experience in every season of the year.